Web Search Help
Searching for a specific topic can be a challenge if you are not exactly sure how to do the search. The following tips and guidelines will assist you in making your search quickly and effectively.
· Plain simple words are most effective. Because the search engines use every word you put in the search box, use only the necessary ones to find the appropriate sites.
· SPELLING DOES COUNT! Watch for the drop down menu as you type your search word. It offers suggestions you can use to help you.
· Use as few words as possible to say what you are looking for.
· Use quotation marks (“”) around a group of words to tell the search engine that you want the words exactly as they appear to be on the selected web sites
· Use of the plus sign (+) before the word in the search box is very effective. This way you will find sites that have the exact words you requested.
· Narrow your search by using specific language.
· You can use an * in place of a word you’re not sure how to spell or can’t remember.
· Be sure to Click on Canada before you hit search so that your information is accurate for your province.
There are different search engines that can be used to find information on the web. Instead of the usual one you use, try one of the following: